Here we have listed main 5 causes of obesity. But before jumping directly to obesity causes, let’s first see what is Obesity?
The worldwide rate of overweight and obesity in people has doubled since 1980, with about a third of the world ‘s population. Those people are now listed as overweight or obese. (1)
So, what is the meaning of obesity?
Obesity is a complex condition in which extra body fat has accrued to the point that it may have a harmful effect on health.
Obesity has a detrimental impact on nearly all of the body’s normal activities and is a significant hazard to public health.
All these problems have a negative effect on the quality of living, working efficiency, and also increases a burden on obese person because these problems increase the healthcare costs.
According to one literature, it is estimated that, if existing patterns of being obese and overweight tend to occur, 57.8 percent of the world ‘s population is overweight or obese by the year 2030. (6)
When we compared the results from various articles on obesity for its distribution worldwide, we came to know that, obesity is mostly seen in low-income countries like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, etc.
In country like India, obesity is more common in rich people and living in urban areas and women are highly affected from obesity compared to men with the age group between 45 to 65 years. (7)
Even worldwide, the incidences of obesity and overweight are more common in women compared to men.
The most common cause of increasing obesity worldwide is due to increased high level of lifestyle, increased fat-rich diet and inactive lifestyle.
You read earlier two words, obesity and overweight, and you might be thinking whether obesity and overweight both are the same things or different?
So, let’s see the definition of obesity and overweight?
What is the definition of obesity and overweight?
According to WHO and some scientific articles, the definition of obesity and overweight is like, when a person is having Body Mass Index (BMI) between 25 to 29.9 kg/m2 is overweight and when the Body Mass Index (BMI) is greater than or equal to 30 kg/m2 is considered as obese. (8)
So, you can see, saying if you are obese or overweight is measured by calculating Body Mass Index (BMI).
Therefore, you must learn what is Body Mass Index (BMI)? You will learn about how to calculate BMI later in this article.
What causes obesity and overweight?
A metabolic difference between calories consumed and calories lost is the key explanation behind obesity and overweight.
It means when your calories intake is high compared to calories you burn during you daily activities.
So, in such case remaining excessive calories in the body will convert into the triglycerides and stored as fat in your body and do weight gain.
Causes of obesity and overweight (Full list)
We divided causes of obesity and overweight into five various categories for your better understand. (9)
1) Lifestyle related causes of obesity and overweight
- Eating too much then your daily requirement of calories.
- Eating junk foods/oily foods/fatty foods.
- Drinking carbonated drinks with high sugar content more frequently.
- Having less physical activity.
- Person may eat high in unstable emotional status
- Disturbed sleep (how well you sleep and how long you sleep) can cause weight gain. Altered sleep causes imbalance of appetite hormones (ghrelin & leptin)
- Person having frequent change in shift of work is associated with high calorie intake. This is termed as Circadian misalignment.
- Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) has connection with obesity as disturbed sleep is there in OSA.
- Person is living sedentary lifestyle (inactive lifestyle) as metabolic activity is decreased.
- Quitting smoking habit may induce obesity and overweight.
2) Some medicines causes obesity and overweight
- Antidepressant drugs (Citalopram, Mirtazapine, Amitryptilline, Paroxetine). If you are having any of these antidepressant drugs, you may gain 5% of body weight.
- Antipsychotics drugs (Olanzapine, Lithium, Clozapine, Quetiapine, Risperidon, Ziprasidone. You may gain greater than or equal to 7% of body weight.
- Anti‐epileptic drugs (Carbamazepine, Gabapentin, Valproic acid). You may gain 5 to 10% of body weight.
- Anti‐diabetic drugs (Blood glucose lowering drugs) (Insulin, SU derivates). You may gain 1.5 kg to 4 kg in a year.
- Anti‐hypertensives (Blood pressure lowering drugs) (α‐Adrenergic blockers, Β‐Adrenergic blockers)
- Hormonal contraceptives
3) Obesity associated with some syndromes
- Prader‐Willi syndrome
- Bardet‐Biedl syndrome
- 16p11.2 deletion syndrome
- Albright hereditary osteodystrophy (AHO)
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Cushing syndrome (CS)
4) Obesity with some medical diseases, after surgery and head trauma
- Pituitary diseases
- Hypothalamic obesity
5) Obesity Causes in women
What are the symptoms of obesity and overweight?
Here we have tried to list all possible common obesity symptoms seen in adult. They are:
- Excessive body fat, especially around the waist in men and around hips and thighs in women
- Breathing difficulty when you try to do some walk or some weight loss exercise
- Sweating excessively
- Sleeping problems due to obstructive sleep apnea
- Getting fatigue very soon
- Snoring while sleeping
- Bone joints problems, mainly knee and ankle joint pain due to overweight
- Lack of concentration
What is Body Mass Index (BMI)?
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a value you are getting based on calculation of your body mass and your height, which define whether you are fit, overweight or obese.
In simple term you can say BMI is a weight loss calculator.
You might be still not getting that how to calculate BMI?
So, let’s see a simple BMI calculation formula below.
How to calculate Body Mass Index (BMI)?
When Kg and meter units are used:
BMI = Weight (kg) / height squared (m2)
When pound and inches are used:
BMI = Weight (pound) x 703 / height squared (inches2)
For e.g. if a person is 5 feet 5 inches (1.651 meter) tall and having weight of 180 lbs (81.64 kg) then his or her BMI is 29.9.
(BMI = 81.64 / 1.651 x 1.651 = 81.64 / 2.725 = 29.9
(BMI = 180 x 703 / 65 x 65 = 126,540 / 4225 = 29.9) (5 feet = 60 inches)
Weight loss for obese or overweight person
Achieving and remaining at a good weight according to your BMI will be a long-term struggle for overweight and obese person.
Obesity is increasing in women compared to men and obesity is increasing with age.
You can do yoga for fast weight loss.
Attend some weight loss management programme where they will help you losing weight fast by making some healthy diet plan, weight lose exercise, some list of yoga for fast weight loss according to your age, your Body Mass Index (BMI) and amount of weight loss is required.
You can visit slimming centre around you on google and visit the best slimming centre around you and ask for weight loss plan.
Weight loss pills and weight loss drinks are available in the market to reduce the weight.
But we think that it’s best advisable not to weight loss pills or weight loss drinks, until your doctor has advised you to take those pills and drinks for weight loss.
If you’re too obese and them sometimes your doctor may advice for weight loss surgery.
You can search for some weight loss motivation videos, weight loss motivation articles, you can read some weight loss quotes.
It is also proven that you can do weight loss by walking if you’re aged and running is not an option for you. But if you’re young enough to do some heavy workout you can do weight loss by running, jogging, swimming, etc.
You can play badminton for weight loss and also playing table tennis and loan tennis can reduce your weight.
You can use some weight loss calculator so that you can easily track your weight loss, and if needed you can change you weight loss exercise accordingly and your healthy diet plan too.
And we advise you to have a photograph before starting your weight loss plan. So that you can easily compare your weight loss before and after.
You can find some healthy snacks to lose weight and a low carb food for quick weight loss. See our list of 19 low carb vegetables.
You must make some list of foods not to eat when trying to lose weight. So that you can avoid those oily foods and fatty foods like pizza, burgers, cheese, samosa, carbonated drinks which will not help you to lose weight rather than they will do weight regain.
You must avoid weight gaining food. If you want a full list of weight gaining food that leave a comment us below. We shall send you the whole list of food that help weight gaining food.
If you are finding difficulty in doing exercise at initial phase, you may start with Ketogenic Diet Plan that may help you lose weight fast.
For that, read our beginner’s guide on “Ketogenic Diet Plan“.
If nothing works for you, you can always contact weight loss doctor. This type of weight loss doctor is called “Bariatric physician”.